Recent Posts

Monday 11 August 2014

Castle Valley Pageant

Good Morning Friends and Family!!

I definitely think this week was better than last week, but still a slow week. 

High light of the week was definitely the Castle Valley Pageant! It is a Pageant about the Pioneers and how they ended up in this area. It was real fun. As missionaries we went up to great people as they came in to the little village where they were able to see how to shoe a horse, how to make butter, how to make honey candy, how to make a "prairie diamond ring" from a hose shoe nail, how to milk a cow, taste food from a dutch oven, how to quilt, how to make a rug out of rags, also got to watch a black smith at work. It was highly informative and real fun to be a part of and good practice to talk to everyone! Though we did not have too much success in getting any referrals we did meet people from all over Utah. the first night that we went (friday - the 2nd last night) there was a general authority there so we got to meet Elder Schwitzer of the second quorum of the 70 :) he is a great down to earth man - so is his wife. and was cool when we knew a common man - Elder Golden :)

Well the Pageant itself was amazing! it really helped me grow closer to the pioneers. I don't think I have ever really had strong feeling for them, yes I know what trails and struggles they went though but this was even after the big struggles to utah, this was just from San peak county to Emery county. (Just over the Mountain) and there were MANY trails and struggles but it was good to get closer to them. The spirit was STRONG. And we also got to have a few laughs. It was an interesting experience though when they paid tribute to the Utah and American Flags as well as all the different militray divisions... But it was fun.

One thing that I am finding on my mission is that as we teach others their questions of the gospel can strengthen our own testimonies as we study them out and try to learn and grow from them. But we need to come to know for ourselves that is true. In all aspects. Also in Zone Training this week something struck me. There is an elder in our Zone that didn't like numbers too much and he has been out on his mission for 20months. I also don't like numbers too much because it is embarrasing when you have to "return and report" numbers that you were not able to acheive. But he was challenged by his district leader to pray about it - and find out for himself - through the spirit - the importance of numbers. And he told of an experience where his WHOLE attitutde and understanding changed - they were able to see miracles in finding new investigators and putting them on date to be baptized. That really got me thinking and I think I really needed to hear that. Our numbers have not been the best but I know that things are going to change and they can as we understand doctrine through the spirit. And thinking of alot of our investigators and others we teach - nothing is going to change until we find out for ourselves. Even Alma the younger needed to experience repentance before he had a change in heart. 

My challenge to you all this week is to identify something gospel related that you are stuggling with wheter it be that the book of mormon is true, or that Jospeh Smith was a prophet, or whether Temples have been ordainded of God. I invite you to pray to know if it does come from our Father in Heaven. And I can promise you that as you can understand these princliples with the Spirit that you can be stronger in that aspect of the gospel, and you will see your testimony grow.

I want you to know that I love this Gospel. I love having the spirit as a companion to me every day. I know that we all can sacrifice a bit each day to come closer to our Father in Heaven. I am not perfect. I am far from it. But I really want to be better, and that happens as we apply the Goapel of Faith, Repentance and partaking of the sacrament each week.

I love you all.

PS sorry the PC didn't want to upload pictures today... it wanted me to format my SD - NO THANKS.

All My Best,

Sister Karen Hollander
Utah, St George Mission
881 South River Road
St. George Utah, 84790
United States


No comments:

Post a Comment