Recent Posts

Monday 22 September 2014

P-Day + Birthday = FUN

Yup best birthday present ever is that it falls on a P-day!!! Thank you to EVERYONE for the mail and emails wishing me a happy birthday! I really felt very loved this week!!! Thank you also for all the love and support you have given me!

This has been an average week and well not all too eventful. But I am really excited for today - we have arranged to go out sorta hiking to the rochester panel (Indian writings) down in Emery, with Michelle. We are so excited! I even made us some brownies and added some cadburys choc for flavour (thanks to my package that made it on time for my bday) I
I Opened it 3am SA time - so I claim it as my birthday! My family is the best! I love them to bits! There are so many things that I miss from home. But I know there will be many things I miss from the states when I get back.

Anyway we saw quite alot of people and were able to pick up a new investigator, we have been doing alot of service for them and I guess they have had bad experiences with missionaries in the past but I think our service was able to soften their hearts alot! But they will eventually be moving to wyoming so I wont hold my breath. 

Well columbias baptism has been postponed :( And we get transfer calls this saturday and well its lame. But I think I will be moving on. But so is the life of a missionary.

Another thing Sister schneider has found out is how awkward mission life can get. So this is an old one but we are really starting to love this one family - but we always have the MOST awkward lessons with them. At first we met them at their house but they were on the street. You could tell they were a bit apprehensive about us talking with them. even though they are members and they have a little girl getting baptised in a few months. But it was awkward. The husband offered to feed us for dinner one day and the wife kinda said no. lol But we set up a FHE which ended up being really good and the kids loved it. The dad also opened up to us afterward. We have not been able to get them to go to church yet. So we went by again to invite them and I guess hey had company over and wow it was like pulling teeth to get people to speak. And sister Schneider is a bit shy in asking questions so I did most of the speaking... if I had not... well I have no clue how awkward it could have become. Luckily the fact that I am from SA and my Comp is from Germany can aid our conversations quite a bit. But there was a room full of poeople and yeah... I think that has been one of the most awkward times on my mission cause more poeple came into the room and yeah... And well we went back this week and it was awkward again. (It's probably all in our heads.. I know the more you act like it is NOT awkward the better it is for everyone.) But we have been making some situations even more awkward lately by asking people if we could sing for them... haha when ever we ask that it is way interesting to see their reaction. 

Sister Schneider and I have only discovered the real power of music this week. sometimes we feel like sharing a scripture - especially with less actives is not always something that can really grab their attention. but singing can sure do that and we are also able to help them feel the spirit. I have a testimony on the Power of music. We have been able to touch so many lives these past 3 weeks. One of the ladies we teach it was exceptionally funny to watch her countenance change. from the time we said can we sing to while we were singing to the end. People have also been really shocked that we have the courage to do that. But we are just sharing a talent that God has given us. If we use it we wont loose it right (D&C 60:13 "... Thou shalt not idle away thy time, neither shalt thou bury thy talent that is may not be known.)

We atended the re-dedication of the Ogden Utah temple and it was wonderful! I have only ever witnessed One other rededication - of the Navoo Temple. And Ithink this was a great opportunity to Understand a bit more about the Temple. It was also wonderful to hear more from Our Prophet and David A Bednar I love the Temple and I know there is way more to it that I understand.

But i want you all to know that I know that this is the Church of Jesus Christ. I know that President Monson IS our living day Prophet and he recieves revelation for the church today. General conference is coming up and I hope you have all made a decision to attend and watch it. Prepare yourselves for it by reading and studying this talk by Pres Utchdorf and go to this site which talks about ways you and your family can prepare to recieve personal revelation. Remember that this is a church of revelation. It is the rock upon which Christ's church is built. I would exhort you (Invite you) to take at least one question to conference. Start preparing NOW. I know you will be able to feel God's love for you as you do this.

PS Just so everyone knows I have a distinguished american/cowboy/huntington accent now... I think I am going to need alot of work when I get home. lol.

All My Best,

Sister Karen Hollander
Utah, St George Mission
881 South River Road
St. George Utah, 84790
United States

No comments:

Post a Comment